Monday, April 25, 2011

Round Top Review

This is a little past due... but I finally had the time and motivation to write about our little trip down to Round Top at the beginning of the month.

For those of you who might not know, Round Top is the name for a collection of antique shows and flea markets that take place twice a year about 40 miles outside of Austin. I heard about Round Top from one of my most inspiring friends (who I so want to be like), Mary Austin, and when she told me how amazing it was, I knew I had to go.

I managed to talk my husband into taking me (he hates "shopping" like most men) by telling him we could go kayaking while in Austin (I couldn't believe that actually worked). So we set out toward Round Top, Texas and here's what we discovered...

Round Top is the collective name for flea markets and antique shows in several nearby towns, namely Carmine, Round Top and Warrenton. Before we went, I asked a few people who had been what the best part of the Round Top Show was. Each person I asked told me that the whole thing was great. Once we got down there, however, I realized that there were seriously SO MANY different possible places to go strung out along 6 miles on Texas 237 S. A little overwhelming.

Based on some reviews I had read, we started in Carmine, the town furthest north. I think this is where Antique Weekend began. We paid the $10 to get in the Carmine Dance Hall, Big Red Barn and whatever other place it granted us admission to. I guess I didn't take any photos inside of the Carmine Dance Hall, but just imagine TONS of tiny trinkets with big price tags. They had several collectors' dishes, jewelry, all kinds of things. It didn't take me long to realize that this was not my cup of tea, so I talked Derek into going to the next place, The Big Red Barn.

This is the Big Red Barn.
Full of WAY. Too. Many. People. The Big Red Barn had more furniture items, but it was really crowded (and we even went on a Thursday) and the prices were still (lots) more than I was willing to spend. So I told Derek I wanted to leave.

We headed south on Texas 237 S into Round Top and visited the popular Marburger Farm Show. It cost $10 as well. Here's a little bit of what we saw:


Isn't that tapestry amazing?

Loved these lamps.


In all, Marburger Farm was a great place to get ideas but, in my opinion, still WAY expensive. And I was there to find a bargain, not to be tantalized by things I could not have.

This is the point that I apologized to Derek for dragging him out here. I was a little disappointed and decided it was time to change my mindset from bargain hunting to getting ideas. I asked him if we could just try ONE more place. Thankfully, he obliged.

We headed further south on Texas 237 S and got to Heaven Warrenton. I had read that it was the bargain hunter's paradise, but by this point, I was growing weary on hope. Well, we entered town and there were miles of white tents. It was a really charming little town with lots of shade and pretty flowers. We pulled into a lot and paid $5 to park. Then, we proceeded to go, tent by tent, through all of the rummaged items, furniture, antiques... you name it! And the best part- most everything was cheap!

Warrenton was so much more laid back than Round Top and Carmine. Sellers would just leave their things and go and socialize. It was the kind of laid back, good old folk environment that you just want to pause time and soak in. Derek and I also got Corn in a Cup, Sausage on a Stick and the best BLT I've ever had. You get the point- I LOVED WARRENTON.

Here's a bit of what all we saw there:
Derek and his Sausage On A Stick.


A Very Cute Little Shop

Planning to re-create this bedding one day.

This cute table was $75. But Derek wouldn't let me get it.

Guess I took this photo while we were leaving.

Another cool thing about Warrenton (that I wish I would have known) is that it actually starts its show a couple weekends before the official Round Top Show. (Warrenton is still only twice a year though, like Round Top).

And the rumor is that the sellers in Carmine and Round Top come and buy all kinds of things for cheap from Warrenton and then re-sell it for WAY more on up the road. 

I was so content with Warrenton that we stayed there the rest of the day... and it's the first place I'm going next time (hopefully this fall). We ended up getting a buffet that we just love. I will have to post photos of it soon. Here's what our truck looked like at the end of the day (this made us laugh so hard):
...and that's how we drove around Austin for the next three days.

Oh, and the drive is bea-u-ti-full.


Fall 2011 Show Dates:

Preview Weekend, Wednesday, Sept. 21 thru Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2011
AntiqueWeekend, Thursday, Sept. 29 thru Sunday, Oct. 2, 2011

SO WHO IS GOING WITH ME THIS FALL?

Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions and/or further input.
I appreciate you all so much! You're dear to me.

-Lindsey

5 comments:

Faith said...

I wanna go!!!!

Adrian & Katherine said...

I am SO there as long as it doesn't interfere with my best friend's bachelorette weekend. I have all of September off work. EEEEEEEEEK! (now just to convince Adrian to give me money...)

Jill said...

Hey Miss Lindsey! I just got caught up on your blog recently and had almost forgotten how creative you are! Round Top looks amazing...have you ever been to Canton? How does it compare? Now that I live in TX, we should get lunch or something!

Rhonda said...

Lindsey....where do you live? Austin is my home but we live in Pearland now.....just SE of Houston. Would love to meet up sometime and I would love to go to Warrenton in the Fall! I also have some wing chairs that need recovering. I'll be in touch!
WWW.rhondasyellowbrickroad.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I want to go!! I'm down in League City, halfway between Galveston and Houston. : o )