Sunday, April 17, 2011

Garage Sale Treasure

Derek's uncle Barry, a garage sale-ing legend, once told us that the best neighborhoods to hit for garage sales are the middle/ upper middle class ones. His theory is that the lower class areas don't have as many nice things and they really need the money... and that the "super rich" think that all of their stuff is worth too much... but that the upper/ middle class have awesome stuff that they just want to get rid of.

This weekend was garage sale weekend. Several neighborhoods around the area were all having their neighborhood garage sales. My sister and I met up at our parents' house to go garage sale-ing in their neighborhood because it is THE BEST (in my opinion) place to shop.

I'll spare you a bunch of chatter and just let you know what I found:



It happened like this- we were driving by a house on the street my friend Shanyn grew up on and I caught this out of the corner of my eye, tucked in the corner of a lady's garage. I made my sister pull over and after a little bit of negotiationg, I had me a new table. I ended up paying $125 for this beautiful table- and it was in perfect condition.

Once I got home, I did a little research and from what I found out that (correct me if you know more than I do)... it is an antique oak carved drawleaf table. Several sources online indicated that it could be worth up to $1,200. I was astounded at that! My husband wants to sell it, but I told him that was not going to happen.

Just wanted to share my find with you all.

5 comments:

chelsea fox said...

LOVE.LOVE.LOVE. so jealous of your beautiful new table. i miss you! i have exciting news on my crafting adventures. you'll have to stay tuned on my blog because i will be sharing everything soon! love you dear friend!

Faith said...

LD!! That is gorgeous!!!! What a terrific find.

Adrian & Katherine said...

ahhhhh! so fun! seriously...same street. proposing it tonight.

Unknown said...

wow! you're find was way better than mine. i got a cute brand new pillow for $3, but not much else. love ya!

RhettDidntGiveADamn said...

Great table! Isn't it amazing the things you can find when you really look?

xo