Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mossy Wreath Tutorial

I figured that with tomorrow being St. Patrick's Day and all, my blog could use a little green. I saw this wreath in a magazine and decided I'd like to make one. I have to preface this by saying that it's really not much of a tutorial. It's pretty straight forth and simple. So here's how to make a springy mossy wreath.

Materials:
- wreath form
- hot glue gun
- moss (it took me 3 bags)
- strip of fabric or ribbon

Here's the moss I used:
 

I started out with a plain wreath form from Hobby Lobby. I just picked a cheap one with good shape since I knew I would be covering the whole thing.

The form I chose was about 14" in diameter. I started to remove the plastic and then realized that it would be easier to just keep the plastic on and glue over it. Plus, it held the straw together.

So I grabbed my glue gun and some moss and just started tearing off little strips and filling in all of the empty space...


Glue a little, put on some moss, repeat. I did this step multiple times on the same piece of moss for the larger pieces so the glue did not get too cold and harden.

Once I finished my wreath, I grabbed an extra strip of burlap and tied it into a bow and made a little hanger for my wreath. Easy enough.

Here's the finished product:

I like that it's simple and tasteful. (and easy and cheap)


Happy Spring y'all!


7 comments:

Natalie said...

i love it!! i love all your tutorials. i was just telling matt that even if i never thought i'd want a mossy wreath, now i do because you made it look so cute! haha. if you ever make one again, consider going to dollar tree and getting a foam wreath form.

Faith said...

It's so cute and super easy too!! Great post as usual friend. Love you!!

Unknown said...

I love this! So Eastery too-I'm going to HobLob tmrw to make one. Good job Linds, love the tutorials.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Featuring this on my blog today!

Jennifer said...

Isn't it amazing how simple green moss can make such an impact?! You're entry arches are beautiful and the wreath looks stunning. Found your blog over at Stories of A to Z. I also had a wreath featured.
Jen
Scissors & Spatulas

Crazy Wonderful said...

After seeing your wreath on The Stories of A to Z I totally ran out to get the supplies to make one! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

Shelley
www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

Christi said...

this is a great tutorial! i love moss. i am going to try this and try tucking some succulents into the wreath, too!

remember to enter the july giftaway!