Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pregnancy Favorite Things

Pregnancy has been such a sweet and interesting season in life. Through all the exciting kicks and wiggles, aches and pains, and rapidly expanding belly, I've had the chance to try out several different pregnancy related products. Some I've loved and some have been so-so. I have so many sweet friends that are pregnant or are hoping to get pregnant and so I wanted to make a list of my Pregnancy Favorite Things... what was "worth it" and a couple of things that weren't.

JEANS
I decided that I wanted some "cute" maternity jeans whenever I had to cross that bridge. I read several blog posts such as this one from Alpha Mom and decided that I really wanted to give the Seven for all Mankinds a try. Here's my Jean Review:
  • LOVE: Seven for All Mankind. (Mom bought these for me for my birthday) I think I got these whenever I was around 12 weeks pregnant. The material is really nice and they are stretchy enough that they're incredibly comfortable, but my favorite thing about them is that THEY STAY UP. As in, I don't have to keep yanking on them. I've been able to wear them throughout my entire pregnancy. A good staple if you ask me. I got a straight leg pair with the full panel on the Seven For All Mankind website during a friends and family sale. Mine are kind of like these, but not quite as skinny. And I don't wear 5" heels with mine. If I could only have one pair of maternity jeans, this would be my pick. Comfortable, super flattering, timeless.
    Size: I got these in my normal pre-pregnancy size.

  • LIKE: Old Navy. I wanted a pair of black skinny jeans but didn't want to spend much, so I bought a pair from Old Navy. These just have the demi-panel, but they are comfortable and have lasted me from week twelve up until now (almost 32 weeks). While they are often in need of readjusting and pulling up, they were cheap... so it's not that big of a deal. I would definitely still buy them again.
    Size: I got these in my normal Old Navy rockstar jeans size... which is a size up from my size in most other brands. 
 
  • NOT WORTH IT: Paige Maternity Blue Heights 14" Full-Panel. These were on big-time sale at 6PM.com and so I decided to give them a try. They never fit me extremely well... anywhere between week 12 (or so) and week 32. They're too big and too small all at the same time and have always been. The panel is too stretchy and the denim is too stiff. The Sevens felt like luxury jeans, these didn't. They're decently flattering but not comfy.
    Size: I ordered my pre-pregnancy size.
 
 
TOPS
  • TEES & TANKS: Gap Pure Body. Whether it's tank tops, short sleeve or long sleeve tees, these have been my go-to shirts. They are SO comfortable, soft, well-cut and flattering. I have tried several other maternity shirts and nothing does it for me like these. And the best part is that Gap seems to always be having a sale. I have gotten quite a few of these for under $10. That's hard to beat. So I'd say wait for these to go on sale and then buy a bunch. You'll want to live in them. I do.
    Size: For the first and second trimester, same as pre-pregnancy size. For the third trimester, I'd suggest going one size up.

 
 
WORKOUT CLOTHES
  • PANTS LOVE: My PINK yoga pants. They've gotten me through most days of pregnancy. I love the fold over top. I can unfold it and use it as a tummy panel if I need more support when I work out. And they stretch as I grow. Love them. Mine are OU, of course.
    Size: I just keep wearing my pre-pregnancy pants, so same as pre-pregnancy.

  • TANK LOVE: ForTwoFitness Tank. A few weeks ago, I got to the point that I needed a maternity work out top. Even my "long tanks" weren't cutting it anymore. I saw a girl with one of these on at the gym that said "Training for Two". I thought it was kind of funny and dismissed it. Upon research, people LOVE this company, ForTwoFitness. I perused their website, decided their tanks were too expensive and kept working out in my increasingly shrinking shirts.

    Then ForTwoFitness tanks came on Zulily. I decided I might as well give one a try. I wanted the plain one, but it was sold out. So I opted for "Body by Baby" in caliente. I thought that was kind of funny and I really needed a maternity work out tank, okay? Plus, these tanks were supposed to be amazing. And I have to admit, they really kind of are. They fit, don't make you feel huge, the material is really nice and they're super comfy and soft. And they wick sweat. What more could a pregnant girl ask for? I might start living in mine soon.
    Size: Same as pre-pregnancy.
 
PILLOWS
  • LOVE: The Snoogle. My friend Natalie started speaking the greatness of pregnancy pillows to me as soon as my bump started to pop. The day came that I told Derek that I thought it was time to invest in "one of those pillows Natalie's been talking about". He gave me the green light. I did some research and chose the Snoogle pillow. Come to find out, it's made right here in the great state of Oklahoma. I got the grey one with the jersey cover and LOVE IT. It has seriously made such a difference in how my body feels when I wake up in the morning.

    During the month of January, Derek was working nights. Which meant that I slept during the night and he slept during the day. One day I was telling him how great my pillow was and I had him try it out. The rest of the month, he'd come home and be ready for me to get out of bed so he could use my pillow. He still tries to grab it for naps sometimes.
 
OTHER
  • CREAMS: Bella B. Tummy Honey Butter. I bought this thinking it would help prevent stretch marks... come to find out, the rumor is that stretch mark prevention creams/lotions don't really work and that it's all genentics. Regardless, this cream from Bella B. smells AMAZING, isn't greasy, and hydrates really well. I usually apply it at night before I go to bed and my tummy stays hydrated all day. I've heard several people complain of their tummy itching really bad and so far, mine's been okay. Maybe it's this cream, maybe it's not... but I thought it was worth the mention.
 
 
What are/were your favorite things? What did you try that really wasn't worth it? I'd love to hear.


 

No comments: