Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rosette Tutorial

I was looking on Etsy this morning for a cute headband to give to our friends that are having a baby. There were several cute options, but for some reason, I really wanted one with three little rosettes (versus the fake flower). I looked for a while, but could not find what I wanted. All that were similar to what I was looking for had a feather glued on them, and I didn't want that.

So, as I do... I decided I could just make my own. I haven't gotten to go and get the headband and little clip to attach my rosettes to the headband, but I did make the rosettes and they were INCREDIBLY EASY! ...and SUPER CHEAP.

I googled "Rosette Tutorial" and found this amazing guide from Mrs.Priss. (As a side note, her blog is amazing... worth taking a look at).

Here's My Version.

Supplies You'll Need:
- Glue (I used a low temp hot glue gun)
- Fabric (I just grabbed scraps from my stash. You can seriously use whatever.)
- Scissors

Step 1: Cut your fabric into strips (about 1" wide). Length doesn't matter as much because you can alter that. For a small flower, do about 18", for a large flower, try 36" and of course to make a bigger or smaller flower, adjust the length of your 1" strip accordingly.
I used an old bandanna and the strips were not as long as I wanted for my larger flowers, so I just put a little line of glue at the end of one and stuck the other to it. It worked like a charm.


Step 2: Grab an end of your fabric strip and tie a knot close to the end. (If you don't get it close enough, don't worry, you can just hide the extra with a dot of glue).

Step 3: Start wrapping your fabric around the center knot, adding a dot of glue every turn or so. I like to put the glue a little bit on the outside-bottom of the flower so the finished product doesn't have sloppy hot glue mess. Go around and around and around until you only have 1.5-2" left.

I also found that it helped (at least with the fabric I used) to twist and/or fold the fabric as I went around (and around... and around...) to help the fabric lay better.

Twist. Glue. Twist. Glue. You get the hang of it...

Step 4: When you get to where you only have 1.5-2" of fabric left, put a glob of glue on the back of your flower and glue the excess fabric to the back. This will also help reinforce your other fabric.

Okay, so now flip your flower back over, and it should look like this:
These are so fun and easy. I made several.

Step 5 (optional): Glue a little pearl, rhinestone, button... whatever... in the middle of your flower if you wish. I chose rhinestones. I made sure to use as much hot glue as I could without it showing to make sure that they were nice and secure (and not a choking hazard).

Dun dun da da da.... Here's my final(ish) product:

I made two different versions of headband pieces:
Left Hairpiece: I did one large flower and two small flowers. Then I put some hot glue in between the flowers and smashed them together. I also cut out a free form piece to glue to the back that touched all 3 flower to reinforce their bond.

Right Hairpiece: I did one large flower and two medium-large ones. I hot glued them all together and added the same extra little scrap of cloth to the back to reinforce their bone.

The next step is to put them on a clip and clip them onto a headband so cute little babies can wear them.
I will post a photo and show you what it looks like. I may even see if my cute little niece Bella Girl can model one for Aunt Lindsey's blog.

If you have any questions, let me know! And happy rosette making!

Making babies look even cuter,
Lindsey

9 comments:

Lindsay Rose said...

Cute Linz! Love it!

Natalie said...

i love it, lindsey! i can't wait to make some!! :)

Natalie said...

i love it, lindsey! i can't wait to make some!! :)

L Dizzie said...

So glad you girls love them! Thanks for the sweet comments!

Melissa said...

I will try, love them! Found your blog thru the Lettered Couple!

Alima said...

Cant wait to try this! I am dying over this pillow I saw at Target (Dwell Studio) with these same exact rosettes. So now I'm going to try to make my own!
Can you explain a little more about putting them on a clip that you can attach to a headband. What type of clip would you use?
I would like to make myself a headband too!

Stephanie said...

So cute! I'm thinking of all of the things I can put these on! Thanks!

L Dizzie said...

Alima, I would LOVE to see your pillows when you're finished. Send me a link!

And Melissa, welcome! I'm glad you stumbled over here :)

L Dizzie said...

Alima, I'm so sorry I am just now seeing this.

Whenever I made the headbands, I got the small alligator clips from hobby lobby. I preferred to just glue a little piece of felt on the back of the rosettes and then make two little slits and slide the clip through there. (does that make sense?) That way, I didn't have to glue the clip...

But I suppose you could also just hot glue the top of the little alligator clip to the felt as well.

Good luck girl! Can't wait to see your creation.