Monday, January 17, 2011

The Wing Chair (Intro)

A few months ago, I decided that I wanted a wing chair  for my living room. I love how stately they are and my husband loves how comfortable they are. (He claims that they are the perfect napping chair). I also knew that it wasn't something I wanted to spend a ton of money on. The original plan was to get a free one, but that did not end up working out, so I went to ReSale with my mommy and we found THIS little chair:

Price Tag: $35
Price After I Negotiated With The Worker: $25
Price After Mom Gave Me A 20% off Coupon: $20
Now that I can handle.

I love old furniture because it has a history. There is something in old furniture and old houses that demands a certain sort of respect from me. It reminds me that I am temporal and just passing through this life. ...And most of the time, it is way cooler, more intricate, and better made than a lot of what you can buy today. Especially for the price! I love taking old, beat up furniture and restoring it to it's former glory. I like giving it new life. It reminds me of God redeeming our hearts and making us new creations.

This chair was custom made in 1966 for a family. It was made in Kansas, but bought from the Montgomery Ward store in Ft. Worth, Texas. The only other thing I know about its history is that someone that sat in it ate fruity cheerios (I found one) and glitter (which was confirmation that it was definitely for me).

Well, I knew for sure that I didn't want to leave it powder blue crushed velvet. It actually wasn't a bad color, but it was a little worn and wouldn't accomplish the look I was going for in my living room. My original thought was to slip cover it... but after much thinking, I realized that slipcovers never really look AWESOME... they're just okay. So I took things into my own hands. I decided that I was going to reupholster it. I had absolutely no idea where to begin. I found these two awesome sites that helped walk me through the process: Mormon Chic and The Creative Maven (Thanks, Molly and Lori!).

(Tutorial Coming Soon)

Once I decided to reupholster, my first decision was to decide on what kind of fabric I wanted to use. In the back of my mind, I already had it. Ever since I saw the Simone fabric from Pottery Barn, I was obsessed! Isn't it amazing?
Simone Pillow Cover, 20"
Courtesy of Pottery Barn
 I love how subtle and neutral it is while still infusing so much color into a room. The only problem... the price, $30/yard. I scoured Ebay (over and over and over) and even emailed a lady on Craigslist in North Carolina who was selling some, but nothing seemed to be working.

...And then I got really lucky. I did some mad Googling and found a blog post that noted that Pottery Barn's Simone fabric is almost (if not) the exact same as Lutron Vintage. Now I could do some internet shopping :). I was so delighted to find it here. And the best part... it was only $19.99/yard. Not that it's super cheap, but it's a significant price drop from $30/yard. I was so excited. Check out the side by side comparison:

Fabric Store - Floral Print Fabric - Lutron Vintage
(Courtesy of House Fabric)


Simone Pillow Cover, 20"
(Courtesy of Pottery Barn)
Pretty close if you ask me. I will know for sure in a few days when it comes in the mail! (and I'll let you know). I'm mainly just excited to get to look at this fabric every day. It just makes me so happy.
Here's a chair covered in it:
Arlington Armchair, Simone Print
(Courtesy of Pottery Barn)

Anyway, here are two of the other fabrics that I (sort of) considered:
(Brown Suzani, Courtesy of Childress Fabrics)
Fabric Store - Plaid Fabric - Hunt Club Terra Cotta
(Hunt Club Terra Cotta, Courtesy of HouseFabrics)
And here are some chairs that inspired me. From my favorite place on earth, a spring of seemingly never-ending inspiration:
(Courtesy of Anthropologie)

(Courtesy of Anthropologie)
(Courtesy of Anthropologie)
This is just so fun! And I think that there's a chance I might even be able to do a 1/2 way decent job. Hellooooooooo, pretty chair!

Check back in for the tutorial.

3 comments:

Sarah Frills4Thrills said...

We just bought three tufted chairs. One is a wing back chair and the other two are not. But I too, love the history and character that comes with buying an antique. Anyway, great blog! I can't wait to see your upholstery tutorial because I have no idea where to start!

L Dizzie said...

Sarah! I am so glad you found my blog and that you share the same affection for vintage chairs.

Be checking back. I plan on finishing the project soon!

Nicole said...

How many yards of fabric did you need for this project?