Since this chapter is so short, I am going to paste the text and then go through it.
Hosea Chapter 3:
"1 The LORD said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the LORD loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes." 2 So I bought her for fifteen shekels of silver and about a homer and a lethek of barley. 3 Then I told her, "You are to live with me many days; you must not be a prostitute or be intimate with any man, and I will live with you." 4 For the Israelites will live many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or sacred stones, without ephod or idol. 5 Afterward the Israelites will return and seek the LORD their God and David their king. They will come trembling to the LORD and to his blessings in the last days."
Chapter 2 ends with God's promise of redemption. And what God promises, God does. Chapter 3 begins with the Lord commissioning Hosea to go and confess his love for his wife, even though she is loved by other men and even though her heart is completely inclined to others. Even though she is completely unfaithful. How difficult would that be? I hate to admit it, but completely honestly speaking, a lot of times I love people because I know that I will receive some of that love in return. And even if that's not why I love them, it's something that I expect to get out of the relationship. One would have to be completely vulnerable to declare their undying love to someone who was in love with another.
But we know our Hosea boy, and what God tells him to do, he just does it. So he went and bought his wife back. He had to pay for his own wife. I am beginning to wonder what significance (if any) this covenant held. I can see from Hosea's point of view, that he was keeping the covenant. But it seems like it means absolutely nothing to her. How does she keep getting away from him and having to be bought back? How does she continue to pursue other lovers and not change from her past? How does she not recognize how great a love she already has and how much richer it is than what she is neglecting it for?
...and I think that last question says it all... How does she not recognize how great a love she already has (right at her fingertips, just waiting for her) and how much richer it is than what she is neglecting it for? Lord, forgive my blindness. This is me. All too often. Why do I not rest in Your secure love? In Your Holiness? In Your Enough-ness? Why do I not pursue You other than the other lovers that leave me so empty? Thank You, Husband, for purchasing Your people back for Yourself. Thank You for the second chance of right standing with You that You provided in Jesus. We so do not deserve Your love... even in the least.
Then, in verse 3, after Hosea has paid to get her back, he tells her to no longer participate in prostitution. Or to be intimate with any other man and in return he will live with her. He will take care of her and protect her. But he will not put up with her unfaithfulness and he will not promote her wrongdoing. He will call her to turn from her wicked ways and he will dwell with her and live in fellowship with her. This reminds me of 2 Chronicles 7:14 (perhaps a reoccurring theme?), "if My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." I have a hunch that this will come to fruition... let's keep going and see...
And in verse 4-5 He turns the conversation back to God's relationship with the Israelites. He says that they will live without any idols... without any other lovers. I think that He may be talking about exile here... the desert... ever been there? I know I have...
And that after that, they will return to the Lord. And not only will they return to Him, but they will seek Him... they will actively pursue and want Him. Their hearts will yearn for Him. They will know the majesty and the splendor and the tenderness of the Lord and they will come to Him so in awe of Him that they are trembling. And they will be in awe of the blessings that He has poured upon them.
I like that He mentioned that they will be so in awe of the Lord first, and then they will realize how much He has blessed them with. It reads like once they fall in love with the Lord again and begin pursuing Him, their eyes are opened to how much He has blessed them with which in turn deepens their affections for Him. I think we get it backwards sometimes and are so in awe of our blessings... or even come to expect them... that we forget that it's not about the blessings, it's about giving God the glory He is due whether or not He gives us great things. Giving Him glory for being Himself... not for what He does for us.
Lord, give us hearts that honor You for who You are and as a result of that, give us thankful hearts for everything You have blessed us with. Help us to make much of You and to see You in all things, as Colossians says that You are. Thank You for buying us back. Thank You for forcing us to forsake our idols and for providing us with true love that only comes from the Perfect One. Thank You for being Husband and for allowing us to pursue you. Left to ourselves, we are so unworthy, and yet You make us worthy through Your blood. Continue to teach us about Your perfect love for us, and give us the love to love You more. Give us hearts of understanding to know You more. Give us diligence to study You more. Give us faith to believe in You more. And help us to destroy our idols so we can taste and see what we have been missing out on and truly experience Your perfect love.
We have been Redeemed. To You be the glory and honor and power- forever. Amen.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment