Sunday, February 7, 2010

Missing It

I LOVE my dog Wally. He is my idea of the perfect dog. He delights in snuggling with me and thinks I am the most incredible person to ever walk this earth.

Wally has a strange habit of guarding my things from Norman (our crazy dog). Whenever I get home and take off my shoes, he always gets them and takes them to the couch and lies on them. Whenever I take off a jacket, he will go and lay on it. First thing in the morning when I let him out, he lies on my pillow while I get ready. He worships anything that's mine.

There are a lot of times that I come home and want to see him, but he has my items to guard. So he doesn't come. And it's a little disappointing. Because I want him WITH me. I want him on my lap, not on my shoes.

And the funny thing is that I know the reason he loves my things is because he loves me so much... but it's not me...

And then I wonder how often I do that to the Lord. I wonder how many times He made commandments because He loves me and wants me to know Him better and instead, I lean toward legalism and guard His commands, but miss Him. I wonder how often He sends situations into my life that are invitations to come to Him, but I neglect Him because I am too busy worshipping the things that He created, not being drawn to worship Him for them.

I love them because I love Him, but I miss Him.

The only reason any things are great is because they are of Him. They get their significance from Him, thus He is the Glorious One. He makes things great. Without Him, those things they would mean nothing.

Lord, help me to see You. To worship You above all things. May things with Your fragrance lead me straight to You. And help me when I fail.

James 1:17- ALL Good and Perfect Things Come from Above.

To God be the Glory. In all things.


1 comment:

Christy McDonald said...

I love that thought! You are a discerning woman